Hotel at a Glance: Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
The Adirondack Mountains cast their reflection on the placid surface of Mirror Lake, located steps from this award-winning resort. The resort embraces its natural surroundings by serving farm-to-table fare at the onsite restaurant and using energy-efficient heating. This deal includes breakfast for two, made with sustainable meats and produce.
- Recent awards: Received TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014 and Audubon International’s Platinum Eco Rating.
- Where you’ll stay: Deluxe guest rooms which are set up with free WiFi, Keurig coffee makers, and private patios (some overlook the lake).
- Farm-to-table fare: At Generations restaurant, chefs use pasture-raised, free-range meats and fresh produce from local farms to prepare delicious flat iron steaks, catfish tacos, and other artisan dishes.
- Swim year-round in the indoor pool, which is surrounded by a deck made from locally sourced flagstone and floor-to-ceiling windows that let in natural light.
- Grab a drink at Straight Shot Lounge, which makes their own infused vodkas. Roomers Nightclub plays live DJ music into the wee hours.
Lake Placid, New York: World-Class Skiing and Small-Town Charm in the Adirondack Mountains
Nestled in northeastern New York’s Adirondack Mountains, the village of Lake Placid is actually set on the shores of Mirror Lake, just south of Lake Placid proper. Year-round, folks flock to the area to take advantage of its abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation and to see the site of the “Miracle on Ice”—the US hockey team’s heart-stopping upset victory over the Soviets in 1980.
Less than 10 miles away, Whiteface Lake Placid ski resort boasts one of the largest vertical drops east of the Rockies for downhill skiing and snowboarding, and ice-fishers can be seen trying their luck on the surface of the lake. Come springtime, winter sports give way to kayaking trips and scenic hikes along leafy backcountry trails. Along Lake Placid’s quaint Main Street, you’ll find a string of boutiques and curio shops, along with galleries and workshops where you can watch artisans blowing glass. Wine-tasting rooms and bakeries offer a sampling of local flavors.
Book a spring break trip for the chance to win a second trip!