Hotel at a Glance: Goldmoor Inn
Goldmoor Inn stands majestically atop a windswept bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. Many of the inn’s charming king suites look out onto the river and feature European terrycloth robes, heated towel bars, and other luxurious amenities. Be sure to stick around to watch the sun set over the rushing waters; some of the best views are from the inn’s wildflower gardens and the furnished pavilion.
- Recent award: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014
- In-room amenities include a jetted tub, fireplace, cookies, and coffee
- Complimentary amenities: bicycle rentals, breakfast, and WiFi
- Dinner with a view: Request a table overlooking the river at the onsite restaurant, where the chef serves upscale dishes such as beef wellington and grilled mahi with spicy cucumber slaw.
- Sip a glass of wine from the inn’s reserve wine cellar.
- Spa treatments include Swedish, deep-tissue, and hot-stone massages.
- Wake up to a full breakfast in the morning.
Galena, Illinois: Quaint Mississippi River Town with Historic Main Street
Galena is a relic from the mid-19th century, when it first boomed as a mining town and port city on the Mississippi River. Today, its quaint downtown historic district—which Fodor’s praises as the “epitome of small-town America”—is lined with coffee shops, specialty boutiques, art galleries, and restaurants in 19th-century brick storefronts. Its Main Street even earned a spot on a Travel + Leisure list of “America’s Greatest Main Streets.”
History buffs should make a stop at Ulysses S. Grant’s home, where the 18th president and Civil War general lived after the war. Other popular pursuits include golfing at Eagle Ridge or touring wineries in the area.