Hotel at a Glance: Grand Cascades Lodge
A rustic Adirondacks-style resort in the Kittatinny Mountain Range, Grand Cascades Lodge has plenty to keep guests occupied no matter the season. It’s part of the larger Crystal Springs Resort, which encompasses six golf courses, two spas, several restaurants, and a mountain for skiing and snowboarding. There’s also the Biosphere Pool Complex—a tropical oasis with a heated indoor freeform pool, lush gardens, a 140-foot water slide, and a grotto hot tub.
- Unwind at the spa: Visit Reflections Spa or the tranquil Elements Spa, offering the finest in therapeutic massages, rejuvenating facials, soothing body wraps, and more.
- Tee off on one of six golf courses—including Ballyowen, named the state’s #1 public course by New Jersey Monthly. The courses were designed by Robert Trent Jones and Robert von Hagge and are tucked into the rolling hills of Sussex County.
- Stay active at the nearby Mineral Sports Club, where you can participate in a group fitness class, play tennis, do yoga, or go for a swim in the indoor/outdoor pool.
- Dig into upscale eats at Restaurant Latour, a Wine Spectator-award winner, or opt for more casual food at Crystal Tavern or Springs Bistro.
- Zip down the mountain on skis, snowboard, or snow tube at Mountain Creek during the winter.
Vernon, New Jersey: Mountain Adventure Year-Round
It’s hard to stay inside in Vernon, New Jersey—even in the winter. Set in the foothills of the Kittatinny Mountains, Vernon draws outdoor enthusiasts with mountain biking in warmer months and downhill skiing in winter. Enjoy the beautiful outdoors with a scenic bike ride on Paulinskill Trail or spend the day exploring nearby farms offering apple and pumpkin picking, hayrides, and corn mazes.