Hotel at a Glance: Grand Plaza Hotel Toledo
From the waterfront Grand Plaza Hotel Toledo, guests can walk out to a pier that extends into the Maumee River or walk to many of downtown Toledo’s major attractions. Just minutes away you’ll find the Toledo Museum of Art and Hollywood Casino Toledo, in addition to several shops. The hotel offers its own brand of entertainment in the form of a gourmet restaurant and a cocktail lounge.
- Stylish accommodations Guest rooms feature 37-inch flat-screen TVs and iPod docking stations so you can cue up your own music.
- Riverside dining: At Del Sol Restaurant, you can dig into a house-cut fillet or oven-roasted walleye. Vegetarian options include a thick, marinated portobello mushroom cap served on a burger bun.
- Sip cocktails amid minimalistic decor and soft lighting in Aqua Lounge and Bar.
- Neat perk: Some of this Getaway’s options include a daily $20 dining credit valid at the onsite restaurant and lounge.
- Take a dip in the soothing salt water of the indoor pool, which stays open all year.
- Kid-friendly attractions nearby: Toledo Zoo and the interactive Imagination Station, which is adjacent to the hotel
Toledo, Ohio: Family-Friendly Fun on the Maumee River
Toledo’s skyline—a cluster of glass-lined skyscrapers and industrial-age factories—is reflected on the Maumee River. It’s a visible reminder of the city’s past as a factory town and its development as a center for arts and culture. In the early 1900s, Toledo was nicknamed The Glass City for the many glass-production companies that were anchored there. Today, the Toledo Museum of Art honors that past with a glassmaking studio that dates back to the 1960s and an eco-friendly glass pavilion that houses thousands of ancient and modern examples of glasswork. The museum’s extensive art collection also includes paintings by van Gogh, Picasso, and Rembrandt.
If you’re traveling with kids in tow, make time to stop at Imagination Station to see hands-on exhibits and shows that explore engineering and science. Kids can ride a bicycle across a high wire and stumble across tilted furniture in the Distorted Gravity room. The award-winning Toledo Zoo is another pleasant kid-friendly distraction; USA Today ranked it among the nation’s best zoos in 2014. Don’t miss the aquarium’s 90,000 gallon tank filled with colorful live coral and tropical marine life.