Hotel at a Glance: Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins
Greer Lodge Resort & Cabins has been welcoming hunters, fishermen, and nature lovers since 1948. This rustic yet updated lodge on the Little Colorado River is surrounded by the White Mountains and national forests; it features private trout ponds, river vistas, and open spaces perfect for kids and pets in need of stretching their legs. While here, you’ll have access to restaurants and resort-like amenities, yet still be within steps of mountainous wilderness.
- Log motel rooms overlook a private trout pond and feature porches, refrigerators, and microwaves.
- Cabins have fully equipped kitchens, covered decks, and views of the river or ponds.
- Go kayaking and fly-fishing on the Little Colorado River.
- Hiking trails abound in the area—there are 16 close by in Greer. You’ll also have free access to nearby national forests.
- Praise from the press: Sunset magazine named the lodge one of the top nine hotels for nature lovers.
Greer, Arizona: Outdoor Adventure in Mountain Wilderness
Greer attracts those who take pleasure in remoteness. Surrounded by national forests comprising the world’s largest grouping of ponderosa pines, the town is a four-hour drive from Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, and Albuquerque. There are mountain streams, rivers, and lots of wild animals. John Wayne had a ranch here—how much more western can you get?
Pretty much all of the activities in Greer take place outside. You can go fly-fishing on the Little Colorado River, horseback riding along mountain paths, and stargazing after nightfall. Biking, hiking, and skiing at nearby Sunrise Park Resort are also popular pursuits. For a day trip, head to the Big Lake Recreation Area for a picnic and to spot up to 70 species of birds.