Hotel at a Glance: Hampton Inn & Suites Lake Placid
This giant, lodge-style hotel is set right along Mirror Lake in the Olympic Village of Lake Placid, with great views of the Adirondack Mountains. Grab a free breakfast and enjoy the mountain air before heading to the lake, the nearby sports complexes, or one of the many hiking trails surrounding the area.
- Lakefront fun: Go for a swim in Mirror Lake or hang out on the public beach or patio overlooking the water.
- Olympic Village location within walking distance of shopping, trails, sports facilities, and golf courses
- Free hot breakfast includes items such as sausage, eggs, and toast.
- Spacious lake-view studio suite features water views, separate living and sleeping areas, and a refrigerator and microwave.
- Take a dip in the heated indoor pool and whirlpool.
Lake Placid, New York: World-Class Skiing and Small-Town Charm in the Adirondack Mountains
Nestled in northeastern New York's Adirondack Mountains, the village of Lake Placid is actually set on the shores of Mirror Lake, just south of Lake Placid proper. Year-round, folks flock to the area to take advantage of its abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation and to see the site of the "Miracle on Ice"—the US hockey team’s heart-stopping upset victory over the Soviets during the 1980 Winter Olympic Games.
Less than 10 miles away, Whiteface Lake Placid ski resort boasts the largest vertical drops east of the Rockies for downhill skiing and snowboarding. Come springtime, winter sports give way to kayaking trips and scenic hikes along leafy backcountry trails. Along Lake Placid's quaint Main Street, you'll find a string of boutiques and curio shops, along with galleries and workshops where you can watch artisans blowing glass. Wine-tasting rooms and bakeries offer a sampling of local flavors.