Hotel at a Glance: Harborside Suites at Little Harbor
The private stretch of beachfront outside Harborside Suites extends for half a mile along the shores of Little Harbor. You can spend the day fishing off the pier, playing beach volleyball, or snorkeling. After dark, stroll along the sand or grab a drink at the resort’s beachfront tiki bar, which features live entertainment on select nights.
- Take a dip in one of the resort’s three outdoor pools.
- Soothe stress: Kick back in one of two hot tubs, or get a massage in the comfort of your room.
- Rent a kayak or paddleboard onsite to have an adventure on the harbor.
- Sunset Grill and Lounge: Sample Cuban sandwiches, jerk chicken pasta, and other Caribbean-inspired eats at the onsite restaurant.
- Home away from home: Stylish suites come with free high-speed Internet and kitchenettes or full kitchens. Some rooms offer views of the harbor.
Tampa Bay, Florida: Sunshine-Soaked Beaches, Mangrove Estuaries, and Family-Friendly Museums
The Tampa Bay Area encompasses St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Tampa proper, along with several secluded beach towns like Ruskin. It’s probably no surprise that the Bay Area is best known for its beaches, which are said to receive sunshine more than 360 days a year. The region attracts people looking to swim and kayak in Tampa Bay’s bright blue waters. The bay’s surrounding estuaries are also rife with wildlife. At the Cockroach Bay Aquatic Preserve, you can paddle through labyrinthine waterways shaded with mangrove trees. Be on the lookout for alligators, manatees, and more than hundreds of species of fish and waterfowl, some of which are endangered.
Just a half-hour north of the hotel, Tampa has a glittering waterfront lined with skyscrapers. Families may want to set a day aside to explore all its attractions, ranging from the massive Florida Aquarium—home to penguins, stingrays, and wild dolphins—to Busch Gardens, one of the United States’ biggest zoos. In addition to its 65-acre replica of the Serengeti, complete with giraffes and rhinos, Busch Gardens is known for its eight roller coasters and three water rides.