Hotel at a Glance: Heidel House Resort & Spa
Heidel House Resort & Spa sits on a 20-acre estate on the shores of Green Lake—Wisconsin’s deepest natural lake and a popular destination for outdoor recreation. Surrounded by rolling hills and tall oak trees, the resort is a go-to spot for year-round recreation, offering golfing, hiking, and boating in the summer, and various special events and festivals into fall.
- Where you’ll stay: Guest rooms come with free WiFi. Choose a deluxe lakeview room for a balcony or patio and a separate sitting area.
- Grab your morning coffee in the Sunroom, a lakeside restaurant that serves Colombian coffee and offers great views of the lake.
- Tee off at one of four nearby golf courses.
- Explore the great outdoors by renting bikes and watercraft or taking a sightseeing cruise on the lake.
- Award-winning spa: Evensong Spa was voted the #1 Midwest Spa Experience by Spas of America in 2014, and provides body treatments, facials, and more.
- Award-winning dining: Grey Rock, a Wine Spectator-award winner since 2002, puts an innovative twist on steaks and seafood.
- Still hungry? The onsite Pump House Parlor offers a delicious dessert—hand-dipped ice cream.
Green Lake, Wisconsin: Waterfront Resort Town with Year-Round Fishing and 19th-Century Homes
Green Lake is a picturesque community located in central Wisconsin. Set along the banks of the state’s deepest natural lake, the town has nearly 28 miles of shoreline dotted with bluffs, rock formations, and beautiful Victorian homes. Year-round fishing opportunities, miles of hiking trails, galleries displaying wildlife art, and recreational activities give visitors plenty to do here. Pike, walleye, bass, and catfish are just a few of the types of fish you can catch from a pier or rental boat.
For a glimpse into Green Lake’s cultural history, head to Thrasher Opera House, a vaudeville venue and later movie theater that was a popular gathering place in the early 1900s. The landmark has since been restored and now hosts concerts, plays, musicals, and comedy shows.