What You Get
View local health guidelines for travel here
- Stay for two in a garden-view room or ocean-view room
Hotel at a Glance: Hill House Inn
Hill House Inn is named after business-savvy brothers Joel and Spencer Hills, who built a small empire of local shops in Mendocino in the mid-1800s. At the height of their success, they purchased a tract of land overlooking the Pacific Ocean and named it the Hill Estate Ranch. Today, Hill House Inn sits on part of that 320-acre property, surrounded by soaring cypress trees.
- Hollywood connection: Guests have included Bette Davis and Kris Kristofferson, and some visitors might recognize the inn for its recurring role in the Murder, She Wrote TV series.
- What’s nearby: The hotel is about a five-minute walk from shops and cafés in town.
- Road-trip ready: Hill House Inn is just off of Highway 1, which hugs California’s coast.
Mendocino, California: New England Look-Alike on Scenic Pacific Headlands
In the mid-19th century, Mendocino rose to prominence as a redwood-logging hub along California’s northern coast, attracting a number of lumberjacks from New England. These West Coast pioneers brought East Coast architecture with them, building their new homes in the Victorian and saltbox styles. The town has such a New England look that it stood in for a Maine fishing village during the filming of the TV series Murder, She Wrote. For a peek at some of these picturesque old buildings, head to the Ford House, which serves as the official Visitor Information Center of Mendocino Village, and the Kelley House Museum, which preserves 19th-century photographs and furniture in a house built in 1861.
In the 1950s, when it was in danger of becoming a ghost town, Mendocino was thrust back into the spotlight thanks to painter Bill Zacha’s Mendocino Art Center. Still open today, the art center has taken advantage of its scenic setting along the town’s coastline, which has been the inspiration for several watercolor and oil canvases. A quick stroll south will bring you to one such scenic spot, Mendocino Headlands State Park, where waves crash along carving arches, grottoes, and stony bluffs.
Garden-View Room or Ocean-View Room
- One king bed or two double beds
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 3
- Adding occupants above standard: $40 per night for each additional guest 18 or older; $20 per night for each additional kid 17 or younger
- Check in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: 12 p.m.
- Parking: free
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property.
- Pet policy: pets may be added for an additional fee, please contact property for details.
- Accessibility: please contact property for handicap accessibility requests or options.
- Room upgrades: upgrades may be available during booking or at check-in for an additional cost.
- Free WiFi
- Coffee and tea in the lobby
- Free parking
- Concierge services
- Bar/lounge on site
- Pet-friendly (additional fee)
- 7-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable; reservations made within cancellation window are non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check-in
- Must be 21+ to check in
- Credit card required at check-in
- Rates may vary by date and are subject to availability
- Dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- Learn about Strike-Through Pricing and Savings
About Hill House Inn
- Nearest airports: Charles M. Schulz - Sonoma County Airport (STS; 95 mi), Oakland International (OAK; 168 mi), and San Francisco International (SFO; 176 mi)
- Distance from San Francisco: 155 miles