Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites sits in the riverside village of Algonquin, about 45 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. The hotel features posh guest rooms and suites with satellite TVs, as well as complimentary hot breakfast. Business travelers can take advantage of roomy meeting spaces and audio-visual equipment.
- Romance packages: Both king suite options include chocolates and a bottle of wine. The king whirlpool suite option also includes a daily $50 dining credit to Niko's Lodge, which features Prime steaks, rotisserie chicken, and seafood.
- Catch a ride: A free shuttle service takes guests to Raging Buffalo Snowboard Park and Wakeboard School and other attractions within 5 miles of the property.
- Colonial Cafe, the restaurant adjacent to the hotel, serves all-day breakfast, Angus burgers, and braised pot roast.
- Don't skip dessert: The café's Kitchen Sink sundae includes two scoops each of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream piled high with bananas, pineapples, almonds, and whipped cream.
- Take a dip in the hotel's indoor pool.
Algonquin, Illinois: Fox River Trails and Village Charm near Shopping and Ski Park
Algonquin's setting along the Fox River—fringed by wooded bluffs and wildflowers—made the town a popular weekend getaway for Chicagoans during the Victorian era. Today, visitors come to fish, boat, or hike along the 33-mile-long Fox River Trail, which originates in Algonquin and weaves past the town center's historic brick homes, shops, and cafés. From May to October, locals sell fresh produce downtown at the open-air farmers' market. In the winter, you can take the complimentary shuttle to the Raging Buffalo Snowboard Park and Wakeboard School, home to a terrain park exclusively for snowboarders.
Visitors can easily reach downtown Chicago—home to the Museum Campus, several skyscrapers, and the theater district—but there's plenty to do in the cities surrounding Algonquin. Nearby Elgin's Grand Victoria Casino has more than 1,000 slot machines and high-limit table games. A half-hour trip from Algonquin finds you at Schaumburg's Woodfield Mall, where you'll find Lord & Taylor, Armani Exchange, The Cheesecake Factory, and Rainforest Cafe.