Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Express San Clemente
From this family-friendly hotel, it takes less than a 10-minute drive to reach such attractions as San Clemente Pier and Avenida Del Mar, known for its eclectic array of boutiques and restaurants. The conveniently located hotel is also just an 8-minute drive from San Clemente State Beach; guests can borrow beach chairs and umbrellas to spend the day on the shore.
- Recent recognition: TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence in 2014
- Complimentary hot breakfast: Start your day with turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, and biscuits and gravy. Fresh fruit and cinnamon rolls are also on the menu.
- Stylish guest rooms at this newly remodeled Spanish Mission–style hotel feature flat-screen TVs and free WiFi; some rooms have balconies.
- Cool off in the outdoor pool.
- Work out in an onsite fitness center with elliptical machines, treadmills, and other cardio equipment.
San Clemente, California: Laid-Back Coastal Town with Spanish Colonial Architecture
The laid-back town of San Clemente is set on the coast of Southern California, about halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego. The beach is known for having some of the best surfing in Orange County, but visitors don’t just come for the waves; there’s also a quaint pier and oceanfront eateries lining a palm-studded coastline that still hasn’t been overdeveloped. After a day of swimming or fishing, you can take advantage of pits set aside for sunset bonfires. San Clemente also has miles of biking trails, including some that wind through Camp Pendleton—the country’s largest Marine Corps base.
When San Clemente was founded in the 1920s, it was envisioned as a Spanish-style resort town. You can see some evidence of that plan in the red-tiled roofs crowning the shops and restaurants along Avenida Del Mar, the town’s main artery. Casa Romantica, the home of San Clemente’s founder, has been converted into a cultural center showcasing work by local artists.