Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs Central
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs Central is one of the newest hotels in Colorado Springs—it’s not even a year old. This means everything in the hotel is bright and modern, from the decor to the 24-hour fitness center.
- Take the free hotel shuttle to attractions within a 2-mile radius of downtown. You’ll also be within walking distance of downtown shops and restaurants.
- Free hot breakfast includes juice, pancakes, cinnamon buns, and coffee
- Swim laps in the heated indoor pool, or soak away stress in the hot tub.
- In-room amenities: All rooms have refrigerators and microwaves, DirectTV with 150 channels, and all offer free WiFi.
- Close to Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, and the Air Force Academy
Colorado Springs, Colorado: Cultured College Town Where the Mountains Meet the Plains
Colorado Springs is the second-biggest city in Colorado, but it still has a frontier feel; there are vast plains and towering mountains just east of the city. At more than 14,000 feet, Pikes Peak dominates the landscape. The mountain—once thought to be insurmountable—inspired part of the lyrics to “America the Beautiful.” You can hike the mountainside or take in the surroundings by car along the 19-mile Pikes Peak Highway, which doubles as a racing course for motorcycles and cars during the annual Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.
You can easily reach the summit of Pikes Peak via the Cog Railway, a three-hour train ride that makes a steep climb past boulders, streams, and trees that are roughly 2,000 years old. Along the way, keep an eye out for Colorado’s state animal, the bighorn sheep; they gather in herds in the mountains.
Though a lot of activity here skews toward the outdoors, Colorado Springs has plenty else going for it, particularly in the artistic realm. Downtown you’ll find the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, home to masterpieces by contemporary American painters that include John Singer Sargent and Georgia O’Keeffe. You can also participate in an art walk through local art galleries on the first Friday of each month from April through December.
Book a spring break trip for the chance to win a second trip!