Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Express & Suites Glen Rose, Texas
Pleasantly removed from the hectic pace of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, this Holiday Inn Express & Suites is still within easy reach of a number of family-friendly adventures. A short drive from the hotel, you can follow in the actual footsteps of dinosaurs at Dinosaur Valley State Park. To see modern-day critters, head over to Fossil Rim Wildlife Center, which is home to several types of endangered wild animals. Cap off a day of adventure by splashing in the hotel’s outdoor pool.
- Recent recognition: The inn received TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence in 2014.
- Complimentary breakfast: Start the day with fresh coffee and hot breakfast items in a comfy lounge area with leather couches and a flat-screen TV.
- Tastefully decorated guest rooms featuring high-speed internet access and flat-screen TVs with cable and satellite programming.
- Outdoor pool and hot tub bathed in Texas sunshine
- Have a cookout on one of the outdoor BBQ grills.
Glen Rose, Texas: Dinosaur Fossils and Historic Downtown Area
Glen Rose is only about an hour outside of Dallas, but it can feel like a different world—so much so that Travel + Leisure named it among America’s Top 10 Weekend Getaways. You can spend a day at dinosaur fossil digs, or head out on a game drive in an open-air vehicle to see giraffes and wildebeests running wild in Fossil Rim Wildlife Center. Meanwhile, the flowing currents and rocky banks of the Paluxy and Brazos Rivers make for a picturesque place to kayak or go fly fishing for black bass and catfish. The rugged ridges of the surrounding landscape have hiking trails that lead you past patches of wildflowers strewn with Texas’s signature bluebonnets.
Downtown Glen Rose has a peaceful town square, centered around a star-shaped fountain crafted from petrified wood. Stop and read inside the gazebo that overlooks Glen Rose’s 19th-century courthouse. For more history, stroll the streets downtown, where century-old buildings are filled with family-owned cafes and bakeries, and shops filled with antiques and handmade knickknacks.