Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Houston-Intercontinental Airport
This Holiday Inn is only about 10 minutes from Houston’s largest airport, letting you start your vacation soon after you get off the plane. The hotel even has a free shuttle that will pick you up from the terminal.
- Go for a swim in the heated outdoor pool; there’s also a shallow pool for kids.
- Game on: Play tennis or basketball, or hit the volleyball court.
- Texas-size meals: The hotel’s Good Eats restaurant serves up hearty food like baby back ribs slathered in Shiner Bock–infused barbecue sauce.
- Get a workout 24 hours a day using the fitness center’s weights and cardio machines.
- Stay connected with free WiFi.
Houston, Texas: Space History and Museums in Nation’s Fourth-Largest City
As the nation’s fourth-largest city by population, Houston has established itself as one of the Gulf Coast’s most thriving cultural hubs. The city’s museum distict has 19 museums covering everything from history to art to science. For art lovers, the Menil Collection—which Frommer’s calls “one of the great private collections of the world”—is a must-see. Here, you’ll browse an array of 20th-century art from Jasper Johns, René Magritte, and Andy Warhol, as well as artifacts from Africa and the Pacific Islands.
You could also spend an entire day exploring Houston’s science institutions. When Apollo 13 astronaut Jim Lovell famously stated, “Houston, we have a problem,” he was talking to mission control at Space Center Houston. Here, visitors can tour the historic mission-control room and get a behind-the-scenes look at astronauts training for the International Space Station. Along Houston’s Hermann Park, The Health Museum exhibits a large-scale human body that you can enter to learn about how your organs operate.