Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Snowmass Village
Setting itself apart, the Holiday Inn Snowmass Village eschews traditional lodge decor for a hip, modern feel. The lobby welcomes visitors with bold, bright colors and sleek modular furniture. Even the faux mounted deer head above the fireplace requires a double take with its funky Fair Isle–inspired paint job. These details carry over into the guest rooms, where you’ll find bright blues, greens, and pinks and geometric patterns.
- Go for a swim in the outdoor pool.
- Work up a sweat on the cardio equipment in the fitness center.
- Sip a New Belgium brew at the Bar at Wildwood Snowmass, which has 10 on tap plus a menu of hearty lunch and dinner fare.
- Start the day right with a complimentary continental breakfast.
- Summer in the mountains: At nearby Aspen Snowmass, you can hike and mountain bike amid wildflowers and kayak and fish in two rivers.
- ** The property** will be closed 9/13–11/30/15, and re-opening 12/1/15.
Aspen, Colorado: Fresh-Powder Skiing, Upscale Shopping, and Fine Dining
Located a few hours west of Denver, the city of Aspen is home to some of the country’s best skiing and snowboarding on four mountains: Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass Mountain. Known internationally for having light, fresh powder and short lift lines, these mountains are crisscrossed with miles of skiing and snowboarding runs—and you can access all of them with a single lift ticket. Other popular winter pastimes include dogsled rides, ice-skating on outdoor rinks, and hunting snowmen for their buttons.
Aspen’s historic downtown area is lined with red-brick buildings housing upscale boutiques and fine-dining restaurants. You can find a number of art galleries and museums here, too, including the Aspen Art Museum. This gallery-like space hosts contemporary art exhibits, activities, and lectures from local and international artists. The Wheeler Opera House, situated in the middle of downtown Aspen, is also worth a visit. Built in 1889, it’s now used as a venue for movies and concerts.