Hotel at a Glance: Honor’s Haven Resort & Spa
Set on 250 untouched wooded acres between the Catskill & Shawangunk Mountains, Honor’s Haven Resort & Spa is a classic, upscale mountain retreat fresh from a multi-million dollar restoration. It has a posh design and expansive indoor sports facilities, as well as a full-service spa and wellness center and an award-winning restaurant.
- Buffet-style meals: Three times a day, guests can head to the dining room for lavish buffet meals with American and international items on the menu.
- Onsite activities: Watch DVDs in the plush movie room, go fishing on the resort’s private lake, take a yoga or tai chi class, or swim laps in the indoor pool.
- Stay and play tennis or basketball indoors, or golf on the 9-hole championship course.
- Rejuvenate with a facial or a hot stone massage in the soothing spa (select options include $50 toward spa services).
- Room with a view: Look out over the lake, mountains, or golf course from your room, each of which features stylish gold and red accents.
Ellenville, NY: Majestic Mountain Scenery and Outdoor Pursuits
Ellenville, a small village of about 4,000 people, is located at the base of the Shawangunk Ridge, a giant, wooded outcropping of bedrock listed by The Nature Conservancy as one of the “75 Last Great Places on Earth.” That’s a mighty title for such a small town, but Ellenville and its surrounding area is well-equipped for outdoorsy activities. Minnewaska State Park Preserve has gorgeous waterfalls, three lakes, and 25 miles of hiking and biking trails. For wine tasting, there’s the Shawangunk Wine Trail, a stretch of 11 wineries between the mountains and the Hudson River. In winter, you’re within a quick drive of cross-country and downhill skiing, and in summer, kayaking, boats-for-hire, and hang-gliding outfitters abound. Of course, if you’re in the mood for some brighter lights, New York City is just 2 hours away.