Hotel At a Glance: Hotel Breakers
For more than 100 years, Hotel Breakers has served as an upscale vacation spot. Situated directly on Cedar Point Beach on the shores of Lake Erie, this iconic white hotel features original Tiffany glass and a giant Rotunda in its main building. But perhaps its main draw is its location right at the entrance to Cedar Point Amusement Park, one of the most popular theme parks in the nation.
- Early entry to Cedar Point: Guests at Hotel Breakers will get to go on select Cedar Point rides an hour before the park opens to the general public.
- Park for free at the hotel with the park entrance a five-minute walk away, and get the lowest park ticket prices with the front desk.
- Splash around in the hotel's two outdoor pools (overlooking the beach) and one indoor pool.
- Five-minute walk to parks: the entrance to Cedar Point Amusement park is right nearby.
- Beach access: Walk out the back doors of the hotel and you're steps from the sand.
Sandusky, Ohio: Family-Friendly Town with Amusement Parks Along Lake Erie
The town of Sandusky lies on the shores of Lake Erie, about midway between Cleveland and Toledo. It's a family-friendly destination with a slew of theme parks and scenic coastal islands. Cedar Point, open May through October, is one of the oldest amusement parks in the United States and a must-do for thrill seekers. The park’s Millennium Force roller coaster set records as the tallest and fastest in the world when it was introduced in 2000. More recently, the GateKeeper scooped up seven world records when it opened in 2013, including the "longest drop on a wing coaster."
If you prefer a slower pace, visit Sandusky’s former post office, which has been transformed into the Merry-Go-Round Museum. The grand building is full of antique carousels of all shapes and sizes, restored to their original splendor; it’s also rumored to house a couple of ghosts. More spooky fun awaits at Ghostly Manor Thrill Center, which features a haunted house, a roller rink, a 4D theater, blacklight mini golf, and bounce houses.