Hotel at a Glance: Hotel Commonwealth
The Hotel Commonwealth sits in the heart of Kenmore Square, steps from Boston University and Fenway Park and just minutes from the Back Bay and Boston Common.
- Guest favorite: TripAdvisor users ranked Hotel Commonwealth No. 2 out of 77 Boston hotels.
- Eastern Standard boasts an award-winning cocktail program and a menu running the gamut from burgers to the offal of the day.
- Island Creek Oyster Bar: up to 18 oyster varieties served daily at a 25-seat bar
- The Hawthorne: An expansive cocktail menu features old favorites and bold new creations; open till 2 a.m. daily.
- In-room amenities: 48-inch Smart TVs, imported Italian linens, and free WiFi
Boston’s Kenmore Square: Fenway Park, Boston University, and Fine Art
If you’ve ever watched the Red Sox play at Fenway Park on TV, your eye may have been drawn to a vintage Citgo gasoline sign looming in the background behind left field’s “Green Monster” wall. Follow the sign’s luminous face to where it overlooks the intersection of Beacon Street and Commonwealth Avenue, and you’ll find yourself in Kenmore Square.
Situated just west of the Back Bay neighborhood and Boston Common, Kenmore Square is best known as the home of Fenway Park and Boston University, the latter of which has been a fixture in this part of town since it was established in 1839. Take a stroll along Commonwealth Avenue for a picturesque tour of the campus.
On the south side of the ballpark, past the Fenway Victory Gardens and the Back Bay Fens, is the Museum of Fine Arts. Among the largest museums in the United States, the MFA contains about 450,000 works of art. Prominent works include Gilbert Stuart’s 1796 portrait of George Washington and a priceless collection of works by Monet and Cézanne. Adjacent to the MFA, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum boasts its own impressive collection of world art.