Property at a Glance: Hotel Murano
The 4-star Hotel Murano offers a stylish slice of downtown Tacoma. You can dine at the onsite restaurant, Bite, or walk to one of the area’s award-winning eateries. The lobby is meticulously decorated with hand-blown glass art and bold colors. Located 25 minutes east of Chambers Bay, Hotel Murano recently hosted the 2015 U.S. Open.
- Notable nods: The hotel is a Forbes Travel Guide 4-star hotel, and it was awarded TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence in 2014. Hotel Murano is the only 4-star property in the area.
- Choose your own pillow from the hotel’s speciality pillow menu.
- Custom comfort: Stay in a chic guest room—either a deluxe king, deluxe patron, or deluxe double double.
- Bring your pooch: The hotel offers pet-friendly rooms for pets up to 35 pounds ($45 fee per stay). These include a bed, bowl, and treats, as well as inspirational books on pet massage and psychology.
- Upscale dining is on the menu at Bite, where you can dig into macaroni and cheese drizzled with truffle oil, or scallops and prawns tossed with creamy fettucine alfredo. Top it off with a handcrafted martini.
- Savi Day Spa: Indulge in a candlelight massage or invigorating body treatment and skin peel.
- Distance to Mt. Rainier: The national park is less than 60 miles away.
- Nearby attractions include Chambers Bay and the Children’s Museum of Tacoma.
- Parking included: Self-parking, normally a $16 value, is included in this Groupon.
Tacoma, Washington: Port City with Thriving Cultural District and World-Class Aquarium
Tacoma is a midsize city located 30 miles south of Seattle on Puget Sound. It boasts the state’s largest port, a rail terminus, and a free downtown streetcar. After the early 1990s, the city reinvented itself as a cultural and intellectual hub, adding a University of Washington branch campus, a thriving museum district, and a rejuvenated waterfront to its formerly industrial landscape.
Located less than a mile from the hotel, under the backdrop of Mount Rainier, the Museum of Glass houses stunning structures such as the Chihuly Bridge of Glass, and a 90-foot, cone-shaped studio where artists put on live glass-blowing demonstrations. At LeMay – America’s Car Museum, a 9-acre campus features an extensive collection of classic cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
Another popular attraction is Point Defiance Park, a 700-acre peninsula jutting into Puget Sound. While beautiful flower gardens, hiking trails, and paved bike paths draw crowds year-round, the park’s biggest draw is probably the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium. Exhibits include an Asian forest sanctuary, a polar bear habitat, and a tropical coral reef aquarium that’s home to dozens of sharks.