Hotel at a Glance: Howard Johnson Lima
The Howard Johnson Lima sits right off Interstate 75, giving guests quick access to northwestern Ohio's top attractions. Nearby museums chronicle the region's rich aviation history, and Indian Lake offers boating and swimming opportunities. For a kid-friendly day trip, you can make the drive to Cedar Point, the self-proclaimed roller-coaster capital of the world. Back at the hotel, families can enjoy a heated indoor pool and game room.
- Pizza party: This Getaway includes a large pizza and a 2-liter soda, Monday through Saturday.
- Complimentary breakfast buffet with hot waffles, cereal, fresh baked goods, and fruit
- Practice landing a space shuttle at the Armstrong Air and Science Museum, which features seven interactive aeronautical exhibits
- Catch the game at J’s American Pub just down the street.
- Distance to Ohio State University, Lima Campus: 3 miles
Lima, Ohio: City with Celebrity Ties Between Dayton and Toledo
You might recognize Lima, Ohio, as the fictionalized setting for the hit TV show Glee. Or maybe as the hometown of Ben Roethlisberger, Super Bowl champion and star quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Up until recently, though, the town was best known as a solid notch in the nation's Rust Belt, thanks to an oil boom starting in 1885 and a factory that made railroad locomotives for about 90 years. The region's important role in the nation's aviation history is reflected in nearby Wapakoneta, the hometown of Neil Armstrong and the present site of the Armstrong Air and Space Museum, where you can practice docking a NASA Gemini capsule on a simulator.
Downtown Lima has a small-town feel, with mom-and-pop restaurants and galleries showcasing the work of local artists. You can also find shops selling homemade jewelry and wood carvings.