Hotel at a Glance: Howard Johnson Oceanfront Inn
The Howard Johnson Oceanfront Inn overlooks the Ocean City boardwalk, just steps from Jolly Roger Amusement Park's Splash Mountain. Here, you can shoot down the 45-foot-tall half-pipe slide, hitch a ride down the lazy river, or careen through the pitch-black Black Hole slides.
- Grab a bite in the coffee shop, which serves breakfast and lunch
- Go for a swim in the hotel's outdoor pool
- In-room amenities: Guest rooms feature a balcony, a 32-inch flat-screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker
- A day trip away from Washington DC, Baltimore, and Cape May, NJ.
- Nearby attractions: The Ocean City boardwalk, several golf courses, and Berlin, Maryland winner of Budget Travel's 9th annual America's Coolest Small Town contest.
Ocean City, Maryland: Family-Friendly Boardwalk next to the Atlantic
Along Ocean City’s century-old boardwalk, you can savor wild-caught blue crab, play old-fashioned arcade games, and watch candymakers spin colorful saltwater taffy. The lively boardwalk, which stretches for three miles along Maryland’s eastern shore, helped earn Ocean City a spot on USA Today’s list of the "10 great places to have some fun on a boardwalk".
Assateague Island National Seashore—a 37-mile stretch of salt marshes running from Ocean City down to Virginia—offers a peaceful reprieve from the boardwalk’s contstant activity. The island’s famous wild horses gallop on the shores, and you can can climb up a vintage, candy-striped lighthouse, or hike the seaside forests to spot birds, including great horned owls, ruby-crowned kinglets, and great blue herons.