Hotel at a Glance: Howard Johnson Oceanfront Plaza Hotel
Walk out the door of this award-winning hotel and you’ll find yourself a few steps from Ocean City’s boardwalk, where kids and adults alike can enjoy double-scoop ice-cream cones and vie for stuffed animals by playing flashy carnival games. Enjoy antiquing, dining, and shopping in the nearby village of Berlin, named “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel in 2014.
- Recent recognition: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014 and 2015.
- New digs: The hotel renovated all guest rooms in 2014.
- Take a dip in the indoor pool or lounge in the hot tub.
- Dine by the sea at the oceanfront restaurant.
- Ocean breezes and sunlight are right outside the front door.
- Rent a bike onsite and cruise down the boardwalk.
Ocean City, Maryland: Family-Friendly Boardwalk next to the Atlantic
Along Ocean City’s century-old boardwalk, you can savor wild-caught blue crab, play old-fashioned arcade games, and watch candy makers spin colorful saltwater taffy. The lively boardwalk, which stretches for three miles along Maryland’s eastern shore, helped earn Ocean City a spot on USA Today’s list of the “10 great places to have some fun on a boardwalk.”
Assateague Island National Seashore—a 37-mile stretch of salt marshes running from Ocean City down to Virginia—offers a peaceful reprieve from the boardwalk’s constant activity. The island’s famous wild horses gallop on the shores, and you can can climb up a vintage, candy-striped lighthouse, or hike the seaside forests to spot birds, including great horned owls, ruby-crowned kinglets, and great blue herons.