Hotel at a Glance: Howard Johnson Oceanfront Plaza Hotel
Walk out the door of this award-winning hotel and you'll find yourself a few steps from Ocean City's boardwalk, where kids and adults alike relish double-decker ice-cream cones and vie for stuffed animals on flashy carnival games. Some of this deal's options come with passes to nearby Splash Mountain water park, home to 45-foot water slides and Aqualoop.
- Recent recognition: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014
- New digs: The hotel renovated all its guest rooms in 2014.
- Take a dip in the indoor pool or lounge in the jacuzzi.
- Dine by the sea at the oceanfront restaurant.
- Ocean breezes and sunlight bathe the private balcony of you double room.
- Rent a bike onsite and cruise down the Boardwalk.
Ocean City, Maryland: Family-Friendly Boardwalk next to the Atlantic
Along Ocean City’s century-old boardwalk, you can savor wild-caught blue crab, play old-fashioned arcade games, and watch candymakers spin colorful saltwater taffy. The lively boardwalk, which stretches for three miles along Maryland’s eastern shore, helped earn Ocean City a spot on USA Today’s list of the "10 great places to have some fun on a boardwalk". Situated nearby is Berlin, MD, a frequent destination for many visitors, and was recently named "America’s Coolest Small Town." Assateague Island National Seashore—a 37-mile stretch of salt marshes running from Ocean City down to Virginia—offers a peaceful reprieve from the boardwalk’s constant activity. The island’s famous wild horses gallop on the shores, and you can can climb up a vintage, candy-striped lighthouse, or hike the seaside forests to spot birds, including great horned owls, ruby-crowned kinglets, and great blue herons.