Hotel at a Glance: Indian Head Resort
Set on 180 acres amid New England's White Mountains, the 100-year-old Indian Head Resort is an award-winning vacation spot dubbed the "best place for kids around" by Fodor's. The property is close to scenic drives, national parks, and several ski resorts. Onsite you'll find a huge pool, a lake, and comfortable guest rooms with great views.
- Make a splash in the heated indoor and outdoor pools open year round, or take a complimentary paddleboat out for a day on the lake.
- Onsite restaurant: Profile Dining Room, which serves favorites such as roast turkey, prime rib, and fresh seafood.
- Cocktails and live music at the Thunderbird Lounge
- In-room amenities: microwaves, refrigerators, 50 inch HDTVs, and sweeping views of Shadow Lake or Franconia Notch State Park
- Nearby outdoor recreation: skiing, fishing, hiking, golf, and zipline tours
Lincoln, New Hampshire: Gateway to Mountain Adventures
There's no shortage of ways to play outside in Lincoln. This small town in northeastern New Hampshire is home to part of the Franconia Notch State Park, a mountain pass with miles of hiking and biking trails and a scenic aerial tramway. When visiting the park, don't miss the chance to see the renowned Flume Gorge, a dramatic and natural gorge with a boardwalk and waterfalls.
There are two popular ski areas nearby: Loon Mountain and Cannon Mountain, which has 73 trails and 264 skiable acres. Lincoln is in the heart of the 800,000-acre White Mountains National Forest. Zipline tours and an old-fashioned scenic railroad give visitors up-close views of wilderness scenery, including sheer bluffs and deep gorges.