Hotel at a Glance: Interlaken Inn
The Interlaken Inn, located next to a spring-fed lake in the countryside, has been welcoming visitors for more than 100 years. The resort’s romantic amenities include a spa and a lauded farm-to-table restaurant; select options include a chef’s tasting menu with wine parings for two.
- Locally sourced ingredients in dishes such as housemade ricotta gnocchi and roasted Hudson Valley duck
- In-room amenities: Woodside rooms feature microwaves, refrigerators, and renovated bathrooms; each main-building room has a private balcony.
- Signature treatment at Ellora Spa & Sanctuary: the Ayurvedic facial, which combats signs of aging using plant extracts and sea algae
- Pet-friendly amenities: off-leash play areas and dog-walking trails along the lake
- Hit the slopes at Mohawk Mountain or Ski Butternut.
Connecticut’s Litchfield Hills: Rural Towns, State Parks, and Rolling Mountainside near the Berkshires
Litchfield Hills, located about 30 miles west of Hartford in the foothills of the Berkshires, was originally farmland settled in the 18th century. Today, the area is still largely rural, attracting weekenders from metropolitan New York and Connecticut with its pristine natural scenery. The state’s three largest lakes are here, which, along with a pair of broad rivers, provide opportunities for fishing and canoeing. Visitors also come to hike the region’s acres of mountainous state parks, including a portion of the Appalachian Trail along the ridges of the Southern Berkshires. In the winter, skiing is popular, as is touring the winter wine trail to see the quiet beauty of local vineyards in the off-season.
The village of Lakeville is a gateway to some of New England’s best bicycling routes, including the Lakeville-West Cornwall trail. It runs for 28.5 miles, past Housatonic State Forest, covered bridges, and dairy farms. The Salisbury-Lime Rock trail, which follows scenic backroads and riverside stretches, is another good choice. Shoppers will want to visit the upscale outlet stores in the neighboring town of Millerton, New York, or follow the antiques trail in Woodbury.
Book a spring break trip for the chance to win a second trip!