Hotel at a Glance: Izatys Resort
Two landscapes prevail at Izatys Resort. One is Mille Lacs Lake, where pontoon boats carry anglers and boaters who want to cruise the lake. In the opposite direction, fairways, bunkers, and greens come together into Black Brook golf course, the brainchild of prolific designer John Harbottle. Every room at the resort overlooks the course, so guests have plenty of time to plan out their games.
- Tee off: Golf pros can fit you for clubs, help you find a handicap, and set you up for an 18-hole round.
- Reel in a prize catch during guided fishing trips, which depart from the onsite marina.
- Warm up near an outdoor fire pit.
- Sip a cocktail and eat a steak at the Izatys restauran; select options include a nightly $10 dining credit.
- Day trips: Antique shops, Grand Casino Mille Lacs, hunting preserves, and two state parks are within 15 miles of the resort.
- Guests are welcome to rent: pontoon boats to enjoy on the lake.
Onamia, Minnesota: Small Town with Big Lakes and Outdoor Adventure
Onamia is the epitome of a small town—in some parts, you might have a better chance of seeing a bald eagle than another person. Numerous outdoor activities are available near the town, located about 90 miles from the Twin Cities. Onamia Lake and the massive Mille Lacs Lake have premier fishing spots for everything from largemouth bass to walleye, and there’s swimming in the summer and ice-fishing in the winter. Go inland for drier activities such as horseback riding and bird watching. An excellent destination for the latter is Mille Lacs Kathio State Park, home to snowy owls, ospreys, and hundreds of other species. For a break from nature, explore the life-size dioramas depicting Ojibwe culture at Mille Lacs Indian Museum.