A stay at this kid-friendly resort in Ohio includes passes to its indoor water park—one of the largest in the country—and a $50 game card
Hotel at a Glance: Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky
At 174,000 square feet, Kalahari Resorts’ Ohio location is the country’s second-largest indoor water park. Every square inch is filled with splashy attractions for year-round fun. There’s something for every age, from Coral Cove’s play area for little ones to a zero-depth-entry wave pool and the Serengeti Spinner, a water slide with back-to-back curves.
- Included with this deal: Daily water park passes for each registered guest, up to the maximum room occupancy, as well as a $50 game card per group per stay
- In every room: a mini-fridge and a microwave for snacks, plus WiFi
- Family-friendly restaurants serve dishes like burgers and pizza, and buffets add variety.
- Things to do Things to do outside the water park include playing mini-golf on a course that re-creates the jungle.
- Spa day: Grownups can indulge in Swedish massages and relax in a flotation pod.
Sandusky, Ohio: Family-Friendly Town with Amusement Parks Along Lake Erie
The town of Sandusky lies on the shores of Lake Erie, about midway between Cleveland and Toledo. It’s a family-friendly destination with a slew of theme parks and scenic coastal islands. Cedar Point, open May through October, is one of the oldest amusement parks in the United States and a must-do for thrill-seekers. The park’s Millennium Force roller coaster set records as the tallest and fastest in the world when it was introduced in 2000. More recently, the GateKeeper scooped up seven world records when it opened in 2013, including the “longest drop on a wing coaster.”
If you prefer a slower pace, visit Sandusky’s former post office, which has been transformed into the Merry-Go-Round Museum. The grand building is full of antique carousels of all shapes and sizes, restored to their original splendor; it’s also rumored to house a couple of ghosts. More spooky fun awaits at Ghostly Manor Thrill Center, which features a haunted house, a roller rink, a 4D theater, black-light mini golf, and bounce houses.