America’s largest indoor water park with slides, wave pools, and other attractions; relaxing spa, private cabanas, and restaurants onsite
About This Deal
Hotel at a Glance: Kalahari Resorts
Boasting more than 15 water rides and attractions spread across 173,000 square feet of aquatic fun, the indoor water park at Kalahari Resorts is among America’s largest. You could spend all day working your way through the various slides and splash zones; rides range from high-banked, high-speed turns on the Zip Coaster to the “whirling vortex of fun” at the Tanzanian Twister.
- Included in your stay: a $100 credit at Big Game Room Arcade, which has video and redemption games
- Nine onsite dining options: Try tropical cocktails and casual fare at Ivory Coast Restaurant or pick out toppings at Pizza Pub.
- Family activities: When you’re not at the water park, you can play black-light mini golf and mini bowling.
- Go surfing in the wave pool.
- Where to relax: Spa Kalahari specializes in rejuvenating massages and body treatments.
- Safari Adventures Animal Park: Get up close and personal with giraffes, kangaroos, and other animals.
Sandusky, Ohio: Family-Friendly Town with Amusement Parks Along Lake Erie
The town of Sandusky lies on the shores of Lake Erie, about midway between Cleveland and Toledo. It’s a family-friendly destination with a slew of theme parks and scenic coastal islands. Cedar Point, open May through October, is one of the oldest amusement parks in the United States and a must-do for thrill seekers. The park’s Millennium Force roller coaster set records as the tallest and fastest in the world when it was introduced in 2000. More recently, the GateKeeper scooped up seven world records when it opened in 2013, including the “longest drop on a wing coaster.”
If you prefer a slower pace, visit Sandusky’s former post office, which has been transformed into the Merry-Go-Round Museum. The grand building is full of antique carousels of all shapes and sizes, restored to their original splendor; it’s also rumored to house a couple of ghosts. More spooky fun awaits at Ghostly Manor Thrill Center, which features a haunted house, a roller rink, a 4D theater, black-light mini golf, and bounce houses.