Hotel at a Glance: Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel
Pine trees reach up to the gabled rooftops of this resort, with the Sierra Nevada mountains rising in the background. Lake Tahoe’s glassy waters lap against the shore nearby, presenting a place for water adventure year round.
- Echo: Chefs at this onsite restaurant hand toss housemade pizza dough and top grilled diver scallops with toasted macadamia nuts.
- French toast and fresh fruit are among the offerings at the hotel’s daily complimentary breakfast buffet.
- Nightly happy hour: Guests are treated to snacks and drinks from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Spacious suites feature separate bedrooms and living areas with flat-screen TVs.
- Swim year round in the heated indoor pool.
- Recent recognition: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2013
South Lake Tahoe, California: Year-Round Haven for Outdoor Adventures and Late-Night Revelry
Lake Tahoe has no real off-season; people find ways to make use of its pristine water, beaches, and mountains all year long. In the summer, the lake’s clear, freshwater surface—which straddles the California-Nevada border—is dotted with swimmers, boaters, and jet skiers. Several ski resorts with world-class slopes typically stay open from November to April, and Emerald Bay State Park is accessible year-round. A moderately easy hike to the base of Lower Eagle Falls reveals breathtaking views of the waterfalls crashing down from above.
A diverse crowd of spectators gathers at night for South Lake Tahoe’s various events, which range from wine and food festivals to rock concerts and fireworks displays. A few miles northwest of South Lake Tahoe sits Stateline, Nevada, where a handful of casinos host high-stakes games of blackjack and solitaire.
<img src=”http://gr.pn/1qcASD2” style=”float: left; margin-right:13px” alt=“Getaways Staff Picks” />”The rooms at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel are huge, but that hardly matters because you’ll be walking around Heavenly Village all day. It’s right near skiing, the lake, casinos, and restaurants. Such an amazing little town.” – Brittani, Groupon Getaways