Watch the sunset behind the mountains and lake on your balcony after skiing, snow tubing, or hiking at the nearby ski resort and state parks
About This Deal
Hotel at a Glance: LakeStar Lodge
Rolling mountains and Deep Creek Lake create a serene backdrop for every guest room at LakeStar Lodge, which was awarded a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in both 2013 and 2014. Take in the beautiful views of western Maryland from your covered balcony. Inside, each spacious room offers comfortable surroundings—you can take a nap beneath the bed’s fluffy comforter, or store and heat leftovers in the microwave and mini fridge.
- Locally made furniture: Each room is outfitted with furniture handmade by local artisans using reclaimed barn wood; the floors are hardwood bamboo.
- Coffee, tea, and snacks are available all day in the lodge’s lobby kitchen.
- Wisp Ski Resort is about 1 mile away. Ski, snowboard, and snow tube in the winter, or ride the mountain coaster and play on the aerial adventure courses during the rest of the year.
- Warm-weather activities include swimming, fishing, and boating in the lake; the lodge is situated in a no-wake zone, which keeps waters calm and swimmers safe.
- Must-see attraction: Swallow Falls State Park, home to the 53-foot Muddy Creek Falls and several rocky gorges, which you can observe while hiking through hemlock forests.
McHenry, Maryland: Hiking and Climbing near Deep Creek Lake
It’s only a couple hours or so from Pittsburgh, DC, and Baltimore, but rural McHenry, Maryland, feels a world away from the hustle and bustle of city life. It’s an outdoors-lover’s dream, with the 3,900-acre Deep Creek Lake and easygoing hiking trails. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the area can be found at Swallow Falls State Park, where hiking trails wind through hemlock-shaded gorges along the Youghiogheny River. The main attraction is Muddy Creek Falls, a stunning, 53-foot waterfall.
The layouts of four local golf courses capitalize on the naturally hilly landscape, incorporating wooded terrain and lakes into their designs. Those interested in rock climbing and rappelling should make their way to Fork Run Recreation Area, where a number of boulders are strewn across 550 acres.
About LakeStar Lodge
LakeStar Lodge’s cozy rooms on the edge of Deep Creek Lake make perfect headquarters for adventures in snowmobiling, dogsledding, golfing, and water skiing. Views of Wisp Ski Resort fill the windows of rooms in the two-level lodge. In-room microwaves, complimentary bottled water, and cable TVs keep food warm, throats hydrated, and comedic situations televised, respectively.
Walk-out decks lead out onto the natural beauty of Deep Creek Lake. Around the lake, miles of hiking trails, a Frank Lloyd Wright home built over a waterfall, and a kayak and rafting course abut myriad area attractions, including restaurants and shopping for more urbane escapades.