Hotel at a Glance: Lutsen Lodge
At this Scandinavian-inspired lodge, which dates back to the 19th century, towering pine trees reflect on the placid surface of Lake Superior. Guests have plenty of ways to explore the idyllic setting in the coming months, from campfires and hiking along the lake in the autumn to cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter.
- Where you’ll stay: Historic lodge rooms, which are trimmed in hand-hewn beams and woodsy decor.
- Lakeside Dining Room: Sink your teeth into specialties such as potato-encrusted walleye and housemade swedish meatballs.
- Downhill skiing: Take the complimentary shuttle to the Lutsen Mountain ski area
- Indulge in a couples massage at the onsite spa and wellness center.
- Awards and accolades: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014 and Wine Spectator Award of Excellence in 2014
Lutsen, Minnesota: Lake Superior Resort Town with Renowned Hiking and Downhill Skiing
The resort town of Lutsen, Minnesota, sits in backcountry wilderness framed by the shores of Lake Superior and the Superior National Forest. A year-round recreation destination, the area attracts families with skiing, golfing, fishing, and some of the Midwest’s best hiking—more than a hundred miles of trails wind through maple forests, cedar wetlands, and small ponds. You might spot a deer or a wolf sign along the way. There’s also a vast network of downhill skiing routes at Lutsen Mountains ski area carved into more than 1,000 acres of skiable terrain with options ranging from wide-open cruisers to the expert-only The Plunge.
The small harbor town of Grand Marais is just 18 miles from the resort. From there you can take the drive up the Gunflint Trail, a 57-mile scenic roadway that runs past boreal forests and glacial lakes. At the northern reach of the Gunflint Trail lies the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, a 1-million-acre wilderness reserve with more than 1,200 miles of canoeing trails and off-the-beaten-path campgrounds. National Geographic Traveler named it 1 of 50 Places of a Lifetime in its Paradise Found category.