Hotel at a Glance: Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
The indoor water park at this family-friendly resort features multiple slides, a lazy river, a treehouse with a dumping bucket, a whirlpool, and a tot-friendly lagoon (six water-park passes are included with this getaway). Spacious suites comfortably sleep up to six guests, with a king or queen bed in a private room plus a kids' area equipped with two sets of bunk beds.
- Must-do water-park attraction: Shoot down the Maui Wowie bowl slide on a single- or double-person tube, spinning around at 35–45 miles per hour before plunging into a pool.
- Included family dinner: pizza, pasta, dessert, and drinks at Volcano Grill
- In-room amenities: microwave, fridge, coffeemaker, free WiFi, and flat-screen TV with expanded cable
Highlights of Sandusky, Ohio
- Location, location, location: The town lies on the shores of Lake Erie, about midway between Cleveland and Toledo.
- Cedar Point: Open May through October, this amusement park is a must-do for thrill seekers. The Millennium Force attraction set records as the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world when it was introduced in 2000. More recently, the GateKeeper scooped up seven world records when it opened in 2013, including the "longest drop on a wing coaster."
- Merry-Go-Round Museum: Sandusky’s former post office houses a collection of antique carousels of all shapes and sizes, restored to their original splendor.
- Spooky fun: Ghostly Manor Thrill Center features a haunted house, a roller rink, a 4D theater, blacklight mini golf, and bounce houses.