Hotel at a Glance: Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
The foothills of the Endless Mountains create a scenic backdrop to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa. The boutique hotel lies just off the freeway, providing easy access to nearby mountain resorts, state parks, and the town of Scranton. It’s also within walking distance of several restaurants and bars, and runs a shuttle service to spots that are further away.
- Free continental breakfast with freshly brewed coffee
- In-room amenities: 32-inch flat-screen TVs with premium cable, refrigerators, and free WiFi
- Ways to relax: Take a dip in the indoor pool, or get a massage or salt scrub at the spa.
- Old-world Italian cuisine is on the menu at Bazil Ristorante Italiano. Specialties include stuffed artichokes, fresh pastas, and chicken parmesan.
- Distance from Elk Mountain Resort: 23 miles
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania: Gateway to the Endless and Pocono Mountains
Sandwiched between the Endless and Pocono Mountains, Clarks Summit is a short drive from hiking and biking trails, scenic vistas, and ski resorts. The quiet borough lies just outside of Scranton—the town made famous by the popular TV show The Office—in northeastern Pennsylvania. Drive two hours west to Loyalsock State Forest to explore historical covered bridges and hike 200 miles of trails that lead to waterfalls and pretty overlooks. In winter, the forest becomes a maze of snowmobiling and cross-country skiing trails.
For downhill skiing, head southeast to the Poconos. Travelers from Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, and DC flock here each winter to ski and snowboard in the rugged mountains. One ski spot that’s particularly popular is Camelback Mountain Resort, which sits atop one of the region’s tallest mountains and boasts 160 acres of skiable terrain. The resort is amply lit for night skiing, and is the only place in the Poconos with a halfpipe. Elk Mountain Resort, with 27 trails and a fine-tuned snowmaking system, is also near Clarks Summit.