Hotel at a Glance: Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
The Endless Mountains foothills create a scenic backdrop to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa. The boutique hotel lies just off the freeway, providing easy access to nearby mountain resorts, state parks, and the town of Scranton. It’s also within walking distance of several restaurants and bars—a shuttle service takes guests to spots that are further away.
- Free continental breakfast with freshly brewed coffee
- Where you’ll stay: Guest rooms come with 32-inch flat-screen TVs with premium cable, refrigerators, and free WiFi
- Ways to relax: Take a dip in the indoor pool or get a massage at the spa.
- Fresh pasta is on the menu at Bazil Ristorante Italiano. Other specialties include short-rib ravioli and chicken parmesan.
- Distance from Elk Mountain Resort: 23 miles
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania: Gateway to the Endless and Pocono Mountains
Sandwiched between the Endless and Pocono Mountains, Clarks Summit is a short drive from hiking and biking trails, scenic vistas, and ski resorts. The quiet borough lies just outside of Scranton—the town made famous by the popular TV show The Office—in northeastern Pennsylvania. Drive two hours west to Loyalsock State Forest to explore historical covered bridges and hike 200 miles of trails that lead to waterfalls and pretty overlooks. In winter, the forest becomes a maze of snowmobiling and cross-country skiing trails.
For downhill skiing, head southeast to the Poconos. Travelers from Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, and DC flock here each winter to ski and snowboard in the rugged mountains. One ski spot that’s particularly popular is Camelback Mountain Resort, which sits atop one of the region’s tallest mountains and boasts more than 160 acres of skiable terrain. The resort is amply lit for night skiing, and is the one of the few places in the Poconos with a halfpipe. Elk Mountain Resort, with 27 trails and a fine-tuned snowmaking system, is also near Clarks Summit.