Hotel at a Glance: Oak Plantation Resort
Located less than half an hour from Orlando’s major theme parks, Oak Plantation Resort offers all the conveniences wanted in a family-friendly hotel. Elegant and spacious villas charm kids and adults in equal measure, and a free shuttle whisks families off to Orlando’s biggest attractions—including Walt Disney World® Theme Parks.
- Start the day right: The resort provides a full breakfast buffet each morning for $7.95 ($4.95 for kids aged 4–9).
- Take a dip: There are two lagoon-style pools and one whirlpool spa.
- Poolside tiki bar: Here you can sip tropical cocktails and smoothies or order burgers or pizza.
- Room for the family: One- and two-bedroom villas comfortably accommodate up to four or eight guests, respectively.
- Game on: Guests can play on lighted tennis and basketball courts, and there’s a fitness center inside.
- The kids stay busy even when you’re not at the park, as the hotel offers daily activities for children.
Kissimmee, Florida: Easy Access to World-Famous Theme Parks and Major Orlando Attractions
Located on the banks of Lake Tohopekaliga, Kissimmee sits about 22 miles from downtown Orlando and just 16 miles from the Walt Disney World® Theme Parks. The world’s most-visited entertainment resort spans roughly 30,000 acres, encompassing four theme parks, two water parks, five golf courses, and the Downtown Disney® Area. There’s no shortage of things to do here: begin your day at Magic Kingdom® Park by boarding Space Mountain® Attraction, a rocket-shaped three-seater that climbs to 180 feet before entering a deep black tunnel and racing past stars, satellites, and constellations. After that, ride past the ghastly goofballs inside The Haunted Mansion. For dinner, head over to Epcot® to sample cuisine from Morocco, Mexico, France, Italy, and several other countries at the World Showcase. As one of the most popular family destinations in the world, sunny Orlando is home to other theme parks including Universal Orlando Resort and SeaWorld Orlando.
Those hoping to shake up the typical theme-park-dominated itinerary can head into downtown Orlando’s vibrant arts district. The neighborhood boasts venues such as the CityArts Factory, a multifaceted patchwork of gallery spaces, and SAK Comedy Lab, which holds improv shows five nights a week.
About a 10-minute drive north, you’ll find several cultural institutions surrounding Loch Haven Park, including the Orlando Museum of Art; the collection features pieces by Georgia O’Keeffe, Robert Rauschenberg, Ansel Adams, and Andy Warhol. The park is also home to the Orlando Shakespeare Theater and the Orlando Science Center, where you can take a rover across a simulation of Mars or race model cars down a 70-foot pinewood-derby track.