Hotel at a Glance: Oceanaire Resort Hotel
The luxurious Oceanaire Resort Hotel is set right along the beach and the boardwalk, but if the sand and surf aren’t enough, there’s plenty more to keep you entertained. You get access to all the amenities at the neighboring Ocean Beach Club. While kids splash around in an indoor pool, you can unwind in an adults-only indoor infinity pool with bar service.
- Where you’ll stay: Suites feature jetted tubs and full stainless-steel kitchens; studios have kitchenettes. All units have free WiFi and private balconies (most with ocean views).
- Signature drink: The Garden Grove at Ultra Craft Cocktails blends cucumber vodka and lemon with fresh mint and celery bitters. Weekly classes held on Mondays teach you how to mix your own martinis.
- Family time: Hang out in the game room, then grab a bite at Tortugas Café and Tiki Bar.
- Ocean views: Get a tan on the 10th-floor sundeck or watch the waves roll in while you work out in the 17th-floor fitness center.
- What’s nearby: restaurants, the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center, and iFly Virginia Beach, an indoor-skydiving facility
Virginia Beach, Virginia: Award-Winning Boardwalk and Seaside Museums
English settlers from the Virginia Company of London first stepped foot onto American soil in what is now Virginia Beach, Virginia. They would go on to found Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement, along the James River. But before they left the shoreline, they erected a cross on the spot where they had disembarked. Today, the First Landing Cross commemorates this momentous event. Needless to say, a lot has changed in Virginia Beach since the 1600s. The seaside town has become a family-friendly destination known for supersize beaches and a 3-mile-long boardwalk dubbed one of America’s best by Travel + Leisure.