Hotel at a Glance: Oceano Hotel & Spa Half Moon Bay
Just outside this expansive 4-star hotel, schooners departing from Pillar Point Harbor glide along Half Moon Bay’s peaceful waters. It’s a scenic setting that influenced the hotel’s architecture, which resembles a seaport oasis. Guests here may be tempted to linger on their suites’ private balconies to take in the scenery or the harbor’s famous sunsets, but there are plenty of nearby adventures to take advantage of as well. Bike along the coast, or get your feet wet on a surfing or kayaking excursion.
- Spacious suites feature private balconies, fireplaces, and 42-inch TVs.
- Savor fresh seafood and aperitifs at the upscale Oceano Bar and Grill.
- Sink into a milk-and-honey bath at the onsite spa, which uses organic products in its treatments.
- Eco-friendly: Conscious of the region’s scenic beauty, the hotel is dedicated to earth-friendly practices, including using natural light in public areas.
- Shops at Harbor Village: Browse more than two dozen boutiques and restaurants in this greenhouse-style shopping center, located just off the lobby.
- Downtown San Francisco is about 40 minutes away by car.
Half Moon Bay, California: Historical Town on the Bay Area Peninsula
Charming buildings dating back to the 19th century line Main Street in Half Moon Bay, a seaside town on a peninsula about 30 miles south of San Francisco. Half Moon Bay is largely rural, but it’s close to Silicon Valley, spurring business owners to move upscale restaurants, galleries, and boutiques into those century-old buildings. Local farms and coastal wineries supply eateries with seasonal fare and tasty varietals.
Many of the town’s main attractions can be found along its gorgeous coastline. At Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, small pools fill up along the shore at low tide, revealing hermit crabs and starfish. You can explore the area’s rocky terrain on your own or follow along with a volunteer naturalist, who will gladly point out critters in the sandy coves and monterey cypress trees in the forest. Locals also enjoy spending time at Half Moon Bay State Beach, a 4-mile stretch of oceanfront sand known for its summertime fog in the mornings and evenings.