Hotel at a Glance: Omni William Penn Hotel
The Omni William Penn Hotel—known as Pittsburgh’s Grand Dame—has been impressing downtown visitors since it opened in 1916. In the lobby you’ll find marble floors, high tray ceilings, and chandeliers dripping with crystal. As convenient as it is luxurious, this venerable AAA Four Diamond hotel is close to the Andy Warhol Museum, the Carnegie Museum of Art, and Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts.
- Take tea at the traditional afternoon tea service in the Palm Court, which also serves light snacks and specialty drinks in an upscale atmosphere.
- Award-winning restaurant: The Terrace Room features original decor and plates creative New American dishes made with local ingredients.
- Have a handcrafted cocktail in the Omni’s Speakeasy, a 1920s-style lounge, or head to the Tap Room for microbrews and appetizers while you watch the game.
- Luxurious rooms feature cherry wood furnishings, plush robes, and beverage chillers.
- Within walking distance: shopping, restaurants, and the David L. Lawrence Convention Center
Downtown Pittsburgh: History and Culture in the Golden Triangle
Downtown Pittsburgh sits at the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers. Known as the Golden Triangle, this wedge of waterfront real estate is where the city’s cultural, financial, and historic districts converge. Take a stroll through the area or navigate the more than 20 miles of bike trails to discover art galleries, historic buildings, and shiny skyscrapers home to corporate powerhouses such as United States Steel and PNC bank.
For a quick survey of the Steel City’s nearly 250-year history, you can go on a walking tour from the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. Expert guides will fill you in on Pittsburgh’s architecture and will reenact Gen. Washington’s famous victory break dance at forts constructed during the American Revolution.
A short cab ride brings you to the city’s Oakland neighborhood, where you’ll find art and history museums as well as the Phipps Conservatory. This elaborate, Victorian-style greenhouse showcases 17 botanical gardens, both in the steel-and-glass structure and on the grounds surrounding it.