Located just outside Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, this resort offers two outdoor pools, a fitness center, and communal fire pits
About This Deal
Hotel at a Glance: Palm Canyon Hotel and RV Resort
The night sky above Palm Canyon Hotel and RV Resort is dark—so dark, in fact, that the town of Borrego Springs was recognized by the International Dark-Sky Association, which highlights locales with so little light pollution that the nighttime sky is dotted with millions of stars. The resort is encircled by three mountain ranges that help block ambient light from nearby cities, making it a popular destination for novice and professional stargazers alike. It’s also a great jumping-off point for hiking, biking, and taking off-road trips in the nearby Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
- Escape the heat with a dip in one of the resort’s two outdoor pools, or relax in the hot tub.
- Grab a drink and have a bite at the onsite Big Horn Bar & Grill (open Thursday–Monday).
- Alfresco eats: Fire up the grill in the communal barbecue picnic area or huddle around a fire pit as the sun sets.
- In-room amenities: coffeemaker, mini fridge, and free WiFi
- Things to do: include hiking, biking, golfing, Metal Sky Art at Galleta Meadows, jeep tour adventures, and geocaching.
Borrego Springs, California: Stargazing Hub amid Expansive Anza-Borrego Desert
For millennia, humans dwelled beneath a dark night sky dotted with millions of stars after the sun sank each evening. Over the past century, however, light pollution has drowned out constellations in urbanized hot spots around the world. Not so in Borrego Springs, the second place in the world dubbed a Dark Sky Community by the International Dark-Sky Association.
USA Today praises the Anza-Borrego Desert as one of the “Top Spots for Stargazing Out West.” In the 600,000-acre Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, sky watchers can glimpse the Milky Way, numerous constellations, and even other galaxies. Though the focus is on the sky at night, there’s plenty to do during the day, including hiking, biking, and golfing.