Hotel at a Glance: Pheasant Run Resort
The Pheasant Run Resort golf course ranks among the best in the Midwest, with difficult tee shots, narrow fairways, and lightning-quick greens dancing around serene ponds and mature trees. But the golf course is just the starting point for this gem of a resort. Elsewhere you’ll find top-notch talent at Zanies Comedy Club, award-winning dining and nightlife, and a luxurious spa voted No. 1 by the Chicago Tribune.
- A room with a view: Tower king and queen rooms overlook the golf course, the town of St. Charles, and the Fox River Valley.
- Onsite dining: Sample everything from jambalaya to Ben & Jerry’s ice cream at the resort’s six restaurants.
- Best place to people watch: Check out the resort’s indoor replica of New Orleans’s Bourbon Street, complete with a Cajun restaurant and bar and a “swamp arcade.”
- Go swimming: Three swimming pools include an indoor/outdoor pool and a jacuzzi.
- Get sweaty: A state-of-the-art fitness center has everything you need for a complete workout.
Fox River Valley: Historical Downtown Districts and Outdoor Excitement
Just 35 miles west of Chicago, the neighboring towns of St. Charles and Geneva bustle with vintage charm and a lively nightlife.
- Sustainable eating: At Prasino in St. Charles, diners enjoy local, sustainable dishes among recycled-wood accents and views of the art deco municipal building landmark across the street.
- Charming nearby Geneva Easily walkable stretches of local boutiques line this town's historical downtown shopping area. Graham’s Fine Chocolates & Ice Cream, tucked behind an old-fashioned storefront on Third Street in Geneva, patrons can watch sweet treats being crafted in an open kitchen or dive face-first into confections such as pecan Skälies, turtle-like creations that are a cross between sweet and salty, chewy and crunchy.
- Fox River Trail: This extensive system of pathways stretches for 40 miles, drawing cyclists, joggers, and fishermen in the warm weather and cross-country skiers when the snow falls.