Hotel at a Glance: Pheasant Run Resort
The Pheasant Run Resort golf course ranks among the best in the Midwest, with difficult tee shots, narrow fairways, and lightning-quick greens dancing around serene ponds and mature trees. But the golf course is just the starting point for this gem of a resort. Elsewhere you’ll find top-notch talent at Zanies Comedy Club, award-winning dining and nightlife, and a luxurious spa voted No. 1 by the Chicago Tribune.
- A room with a view: Resort rooms overlook the courtyard.
- Onsite dining: Sample everything from jambalaya to ice cream at the resort’s six restaurants.
- Best place to people watch: Check out the resort’s indoor replica of New Orleans’s Bourbon Street, complete with a Cajun restaurant and bar and a “swamp arcade.”
- Take a dip in two swimming pools and the hot tub.
- Get sweaty: The fitness center has everything you need for a complete workout.
Fox River Valley: Historical Downtown Districts and Outdoor Excitement
About 40 miles west of Chicago, the neighboring towns of Saint Charles and Geneva bustle with vintage charm and a lively nightlife. Both cities’ downtown shopping areas are lined with easily walkable stretches of local boutiques, specialty shops, and eateries. At Graham’s Fine Chocolates & Ice Cream, tucked behind an old-fashioned storefront on Third Street in Geneva, patrons can watch sweet treats being crafted in an open kitchen or dive face-first into confections such as turtle-like pecan Skälies.
Nearby, the extensive Fox River Trail makes it easy to engage in fresh-air pursuits or test out inspirational speeches on crestfallen squirrels. An extensive system of pathways that stretches for 40 miles, the trail draws cyclists, joggers, and fishermen in warm weather and cross-country skiers when the snow falls.