Hotel at a Glance: Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes offers several spots where you can grab a front-row seat to see colorful sunsets cast over the desert. The onsite Top of The Rock restaurant peers over the Valley of the Sun from an outdoor deck lit by fire pits and tiki torches. The hotel’s sparkling outdoor pool perches on a mountainside, where you can watch the sky shift colors at sunset, and then stick around for drinks and live entertainment after dark.
- Recently renovated guest rooms boast 37-inch flat-screen TVs and ergonomic chairs. This deal comes with daily WiFi access.
- Award-winning cuisine: In addition to the panoramic views, Top of the Rock restaurant serves barbecue beef cheeks, smoked lamb breast, and other upscale dishes made with locally sourced ingredients and veggies grown onsite. The restaurant will be closed 8/29/15–9/1/15.
- Optional credits: Select options include two welcome drinks or a $50 dining credit.
- Poolside fun: The hotel has two swimming pools, with live entertainment and a bar and grill.
- Onsite spa: Get rejuvenated with a detoxifying seaweed wrap or indulge in a relaxing couples massage.
- Recent recognition: The hotel received TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence in 2014.
- Distance to Arizona State University: 4 miles
Tempe, Arizona: University Town near Phoenix
If you hear Tempe natives referring to a mountain, there’s no need to ask which one. It’s the local nickname for Tempe Butte, a steep hill with a 60-foot-tall letter A emblazoned on its south face in honor of Arizona State University. The hill stands just north of the school’s campus, which is home to a student body of more than 70,000. Many of them congregate in the brewpubs, shops, and coffeehouses in the Mill Avenue District.
Located only a 20-minute drive away, Phoenix offers several acclaimed museums. At the Children’s Museum of Phoenix, kids can build forts, measure vegetables in a pint-size market, and help paint an 11-foot-tall rocket ship. The Phoenix Art Museum includes a collection of Thorne Rooms—miniature dioramas of ornate interiors kept tidy by a fleet of tiny roombas.