Hotel at a Glance: Port Aransas Escapes
These condos are comfy, so it’s easy to sleep in. But don’t skip the colorful sunrise over the Gulf, just a short walk from your front door. The condos are designed to feel like a home away from home, whether you’re traveling with friends or family.
- Two-bedroom condos with full kitchens and easy access to the beach boardwalk
- Choose your room: The Beach Head condo is on the beach, while the Pirate’s Bay condo is about a mile away.
- Make a splash: Guests get access to a shared outdoor pool.
- Kid-friendly amenities include an outdoor playground.
- Nearby adventures: Go deep-sea fishing or head to the shore to spot the gulf’s exotic waterfowl. Nearby preserves also provide some of the area’s best places for birdwatching.
Port Aransas, Texas: Sunny Beach Town with Excellent Fishing
Port Aransas is located at the northern end of Mustang Island, a narrow landmass that stretches for 18 miles off the Gulf Coast in Texas. The area’s frequent sunshine and uncrowded public beaches have made it increasingly popular with vacationing families as well as spring-breaking college students. Out-of-towners often frequent the beachside clubs and bars, or rent kayaks and surfboards to paddle through the waves.
Fishing is a major pastime in Port Aransas. More than 20 competitive tournaments are held here, thanks to the tuna, kingfish, and marlin you can catch out on the water (keep your eyes peeled for dolphins while you’re out there). When you return to land, bring your catch to one of the island eateries and many of them will grill it for you on the spot.
There are 1,200 acres of tidal flats and undeveloped shore land to explore at the Port Aransas Nature Preserve, which features a boardwalk and three miles of hiking and biking trails. Head up to one of the lookout towers to watch for rare and endangered birds such as the Piping Plover, a stout shorebird with an appetite for crustaceans.