Comfortable hotel just outside Portland features daily free breakfast and suites with full kitchens
Hotel at a Glance: Portland Hotel & Suites
This hotel sits on the outskirts of Portland, Maine, less than a 15-minute drive from the city’s downtown. While you’re in the area you can cruise around Casco Bay, admire the masterpieces in the Portland Museum of Art, and dine on freshly caught lobster. Additionally, the hotel is just around the corner from the state’s largest shopping mall.
- Spacious suites feature fully equipped kitchens and complimentary WiFi. Choose a two-bedroom unit for the most space.
- Free breakfast served each morning; if you’re in a hurry, take a Grab-n-Go meal
- Squeeze in a workout in the onsite cardio room.
- Go for a walk or bike ride along Portland’s Eastern Promenade, which goes past the harbor, historical estates, and several parks.
- See the coast: Nearby Cape Elizabeth (12 miles east) features the Portland Head Light, Maine’s oldest lighthouse and one of the coast’s most iconic scenes.
- Notable award: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence
Portland, Maine: Historical Port Town with America’s Oldest Lighthouse
If you’re looking for a taste of classic Maine living, Portland’s a safe bet, with its charming cobblestoned streets, historic lighthouses perched atop rocky bluffs, and views of the ocean around every corner. Stroll down to Casco Bay to watch lobster boats trawl the harbor and ocean liners pull into port; you can take to the open water yourself on a guided harbor cruise.
The circa-1791 Portland Head Light—commissioned by George Washington—is recognized as America’s first lighthouse at Cape Elizabeth. In the neighboring museum, you can look at lenses and exhibits detailing shipwrecks and other events in local maritime history.
Portland is also known for its collection of historic estates. Tour author Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s childhood home before heading around the corner to the Victoria Mansion, an antebellum Italianate villa filled with nearly 90% of its original antique furnishings.