Hotel at a Glance: Red Jacket Mountain View Resort
National Geographic ranked North Conway among the best ski towns in the world. It's surrounded by the White Mountains and ski areas such as Cranmore Mountain Resort and Attitash Mountain. But whether there's snow or no snow, guests can zoom down waterslides, splash in wave pools, and dodge water cannons in the resort's 40,000-square foot indoor water park, Kahuna Laguna, where temps stay a balmy 82 degrees.
- Take a horse-drawn wagon ride with views of the White Mountains in winter, bookable through the hotel
- Two on-site restaurants: Savor fresh-caught haddock and grilled Maine lobster at Champney's Restaurant or nosh on reubens and half-pound burgers at Palmer's Red Ridge Grille
- Holistic spa treatments are available, including the papaya-infused vitamineral facial and French sea salt body scrubs.
- Fitness room equipped with treadmills, stationary bikes, and weights
- Family fun: enjoy movie nights, bonfires, and story time
North Conway, New Hampshire: Year-Round Adventure in the White Mountains
North Conway is a small town that nearly hugs the edge of the massive 700,000-acre White Mountain National Forest. The region's pine-fringed trails are breathtaking to behold; in warmer months, many visitors choose to take a scenic hike through them. Downhill skiing is the main attraction in North Conway during the winter. Skiers can also drive about an hour north to reach Mount Washington Ski Resort, which makes its home on a mountain standing more than 6,000 feet high.
Visit North Conway's downtown village for an apres-ski ale or snack. Visitors can also stroll the streets and stop to peruse antiques, tour art galleries, or sample homemade sweets at White Mountain Cupcakery, which won a recent season of Cupcake Wars.