Ideal for families, this White Mountains resort has a massive indoor water park and two restaurants; it’s also near outlet shops
Hotel at a Glance: Red Jacket Mountain View Resort
National Geographic ranked North Conway among the world’s best ski towns. It’s surrounded by the White Mountains and ski areas such as Cranmore and Attitash Mountain Resorts. But even when there’s snow outside, temps stay at balmy 84 degrees in Red Jacket Mountain View Resort’s indoor water park. In the 40,000-square-foot Kahuna Laguna, guests can zoom down water slides, splash in wave pools, and dodge water cannons. This Getaway comes with daily water park passes for four.
- For extra space, choose a Garden-View Family Loft or a two-bedroom townhome. The former boasts a sitting area plus a staircase leading up to a private loft, while the latter offers more seclusion as it sits about 100 yards away from the hotel.
- Grab a bite: Savor hoisin glazed salmon at Champney’s Restaurant or opt for lighter fare at Palmer’s Red Ridge Grille.
- Press accolade: The resort was named as one of the 2016 Family Vacation Critic Favorite New England Family Hotels and Resorts.
- Aloha Arcade can keep your kids entertained with more than two dozen games.
- Get a workout in a fitness room equipped with treadmills, stationary bikes, and weights.
North Conway, New Hampshire: Historical Town amid the White Mountains
Idyllic North Conway was established in the foothills of the White Mountains in 1765. It’s home to the region’s highest peak, Mount Washington, which tops out at 6,288 feet. Climb aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad to see the surrounding countryside and rolling White Mountains. It’s also worth exploring the railroad’s carefully preserved North Conway train station, a National Historic Landmark that opened in 1874.
This swath of New England is perhaps best known for its downhill skiing. At Cranmore Mountain Resort, skiers glide down 57 trails and snowboarders catch air in numerous terrain parks. At the base of the mountain, there’s a tubing park with 10 lanes and a convenient tow lift. For a bigger adrenaline rush, try the Mountain Coaster, which clips along at speeds of up to 25 miles per hour.