Hotel at a Glance: Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg East
The Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg East has everything you need for a fun family vacation. While kids try to beat the high score in the onsite arcade, parents can play billiards or relax in the outdoor whirlpool. If you want to get active, you can swim in the indoor and outdoor pools and play volleyball and basketball on the hotel’s sports courts.
- In-room amenities: 32-inch flat-screen HD TVs and free WiFi
- Kids will love playing ping-pong and hitting the playground.
- Grab a bite: The onsite Seasons Restaurant serves juicy steaks and fresh seafood. At Off Season’s Sports Lounge, you can enjoy nachos and wings as games are screened on nine high-definition TVs. Kids under 12 eat free (restrictions apply).
- Bring Fido: Furry friends are welcome for an additional $15 per pet per stay.
- Enjoy an afternoon: at Hersheypark, only about 20 minutes away.
Hershey, Pennsylvania: The Chocolate Empire
Nearby Hershey bills itself as “The Sweetest Place on Earth,” and it’s hard to dispute that claim—the whole town smells like chocolate. Rags-to-riches entrepreneur Milton Hershey founded Hershey in 1903 as a company town for his factory workers. These days, it’s at the center of a confection empire where you’ll find candy-themed amusement parks and museums. At Hersheypark, only nine miles away, you can ride 12 roller coasters and float in inner tubes down a lazy river. Next door, the Hershey’s Chocolate World trolley tour takes passengers to Milton Hershey’s boyhood home and the mansion he built across from his factory.