Hotel at a Glance: Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix/Tempe
You’re just across the river from Arizona State University when you stay at this Red Lion Inn & Suites, yet you’re far removed from the busy pace of campus. Make yourself at home by barbecuing burgers and hot dogs on the outdoor grill or taking a swim in the family-friendly pool. Whether you’re planning to visit a friend of family member at ASU or check out the children’s museum, you can kick-start the day with a free breakfast as early as 6 a.m.
- Arrive with ease: The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
- Comfy guest rooms: Lie back on your pillow-top king or queen bed and watch flicks on a 32-inch flat screen TV, or use the complimentary WiFi to upload vacation pics.
- Good morning, sunshine! Start each day with a generous helping of scrambled eggs, seasoned potatoes, and fresh pastries—all part of the inn’s complimentary breakfast spread.
- Outdoor pool surrounded by tables and lounge chairs shaded by colorful beach umbrellas
- Practice your putt next to towering palm trees on the putting green in the hotel’s courtyard.
Tempe, Arizona: University Town near Phoenix
If you hear Tempe natives referring to a mountain, there’s no need to ask which one. It’s the local nickname for Tempe Butte, a steep hill with a 60-foot-tall letter A emblazoned on its south face in honor of Arizona State University. The hill stands just north of the school’s campus, which is home to a student body of more than 70,000. Many of them congregate in the brewpubs, shops, and coffeehouses in the Mill Avenue District.
Located only a 20-minute drive away, Phoenix offers several acclaimed museums. At the Children’s Museum of Phoenix, kids can build forts, measure vegetables in a pint-size market, and help paint an 11-foot-tall rocket ship. The Phoenix Art Museum includes a collection of Thorne Rooms—miniature dioramas of ornate interiors kept tidy by a fleet of tiny roombas.