Located near Arizona State University, this family-friendly inn offers a complimentary breakfast and outdoor pool
Hotel at a Glance: Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix-Tempe
You’re just across the river from Arizona State University when you stay at this Red Lion Inn & Suites, yet you’re far removed from the busy pace of campus. Make yourself at home by barbecuing burgers and hot dogs on the outdoor grill or taking a swim in the seasonal family-friendly pool. Whether you’re planning to visit a friend or family member at ASU or check out the children’s museum, you can kick-start the day with a free breakfast as early as 6 a.m.
- Arrive with ease: The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
- Comfy guest rooms: Lie back on your pillow-top king or queen bed and watch flicks on a 32-inch flat screen TV, or use the complimentary WiFi to upload vacation pics.
- Good morning, sunshine! Start each day with a generous helping of scrambled eggs, seasoned potatoes, and fresh pastries—all part of the inn’s complimentary breakfast spread.
- Outdoor pool surrounded by tables and lounge chairs shaded by colorful beach umbrellas.
- Practice your putt next to towering palm trees on the putting green in the hotel’s courtyard.
- Splash around: Select options include two one-day passes to Big Surf Waterpark, home of the first wave pool in the United States. Seasonal hours apply and the water park may be closed on certain dates. Visit here for schedule.
Tempe, Arizona: University Town near Phoenix
If you hear Tempe natives referring to a mountain, there’s no need to ask which one. It’s the local nickname for Tempe Butte, a steep hill with a 60-foot-tall letter A emblazoned on its south face in honor of Arizona State University. The hill stands just north of the school’s campus, which is home to a student body of more than 70,000. Many of them congregate in the brewpubs, shops, and coffeehouses in the Mill Avenue District.
Only a 20-minute drive away, Phoenix offers several acclaimed museums. At the Children’s Museum of Phoenix, kids can build forts, measure vegetables in a pintsize market, and help paint a 10-foot-tall robot. The Phoenix Art Museum includes a collection of Thorne rooms—miniature dioramas of ornate interiors kept tidy by a fleet of tiny roombas.