Hotel at a Glance: Regal Plaza Beach Resort
Every room has a view of the ocean at the Regal Plaza Beach Resort. That’s because this family-friendly hotel is set right on Diamond Beach, facing the Atlantic Ocean. Here you’ll be close to the famous Wildwood Boardwalk and you’ll have all the ingredients of a memorable beach vacation, from an onsite restaurant to a big pool and barbecue area.
- Steps from Diamond Beach: One of New Jersey’s most popular stretches of sand is just outside.
- Ocean-view rooms feature refrigerators and central AC.
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served at the onsite restaurant, Jamaica Me Hungry. Menu items include coconut fried shrimp and jerk-rubbed ribs.
- Cool off in the heated swimming pool, which overlooks the beach.
- Grill out around the pool, or watch the waves from one of two ocean-view decks.
The Wildwoods, New Jersey: Classic Boardwalk Fun and Doo-Wop-Era History
Less than an hour south of Atlantic City, you’ll find the Wildwoods, a cluster of towns set on a barrier island just off New Jersey’s southernmost point. Though the area is more subdued than Atlantic City, families will still find a dizzying assortment of carnival rides, malt shops, and arcade games along the Wildwoods Boardwalk.
During the 1950s and ’60s, the area became a hot spot for up-and-coming rock and doo-wop singers, including Chubby Checker, Bill Haley, and Bobby Rydell, who immortalized the city’s carefree spirit in the tune “Wildwood Days.” You can learn more about the era at the Doo Wop Experience and Neon Sign Garden, which pays homage to mid-20th-century music, decor, and advertising.